I took lead on the development of the jam jar and jelly baby data visualisation. This visualisation represents the average amount of deaths over the last 10 years in each county in the Republic of Ireland based on RSA and Gardaí data. The 26 identical jars represent each county and the jelly babies represent the average of people who died. Underneath each jar lid contains the average number of fatalities per county.
This project makes for interesting viewing as the juxtaposition between the sweet and colourful jelly babies and a dark, morbid dataset creates a form of shock value for the audience.It was compelling to see how different people interpreted the visualisation. The project was set up and displayed for an audience in CIT for viewing and interaction.
This week I started gathering the content for the ja jar/jelly baby data representation. I needed to gather 26 identical jam jars, strip and clean them for presentation. Also as part of this I had to get 216 jelly babies to insert into the jars, which represented the counties and the fatalities respectively. Gathering identical jars was tedious as it was difficult to source 26 identical jars without buying them, however, once they were gathered it was aesthetically pleasing.
This week, we began the construction of our first prototype of one of our projects. This project served to show the average amount of fatal crashes in Ireland over a ten year period per county.
Using base materials such as paper, cardboard, paint and tooth picks, we constructed a basic prototype to show our Lecturer.
We developed the average fatality rate for each county over the last 10 years and compiled the toothpicks together and painted them in their respective county’s colours. The height of each set of toothpicks was based on the averages available e.g Cork – 22 – Highest, Sligo – 4 – Lowest.
Upon discussion he suggested that while the use of basic materials was compelling, laser printing a map and plotting the locations would prove to be a better way to showcase the project.
As part of the dataset I’m looking into, I made a graphic showcasing how it could potentially end up looking. The data in the graphic is just filler data, however I intend to make similar graphics in the future with the final data.
As part of splitting the dataset into 4 separate sections, one of the options we came up with was a daisy chain of people. They would be coloured based on the country/provence in which the data is derived from. They would be placed in a public space in order for people to interact with the artefact.
Now that we have defined what our dataset will be, I started going through a process of mocking up various ways we could visualise different aspects of the data. Below is a compilation slideshow of some of the sketches/ideas.
The ideas are wide and varied enough to be situated in different spaces. For example, some are interactive installation pieces that could be placed within a gallery whereas others could be placed in public spaces.
Out of my ideas, the one the stuck with me the most was the one in relation to Divorce rates in families.
Initially, how I feel this could be represented is with houses that are made of blocks/lego. Each house represents a year or an average over a certain time-period. These houses would be arranged in a row or in like a clustered housing estate layout.
The amount of damage done to the house represents the Divorce % of that given time-period, i.e the more damage done to the house, the higher the %. This can be achieved by having parts of the house glued together and if the user hits the house with, for example, ball, the unattached parts would fall off – representing the Divorce % and how it damages homes in a metaphorical manner.